Saturday, May 19, 2012

"Baby Talk"...harmful or helpful?

I recently (like 3 months ago) was watching a very popular TV show that I really love. In one particular episode, the mother of a new baby was cooing at, smiling at, and talking to her baby in what most of us consider "baby talk". Her middle school aged son quickly chimed in, insisting that she stop talking to the baby that way as she was sure to cause a 'speech delay'. After which, the mother immediately stopped.

What?! there is no way that just happened! I was so defensive and upset by this show's connotation about "baby talk" that I could hardly pay attention to the rest of the episode.


So, what's all the fuss about? Why did I get so upset, you may wonder (or maybe not; but, I'm gunna tell you anyway). You see, hearing that comment coming from a popular, mainstream television series made me quickly assume that this is the general public's view of how you should or should not talk to an infant. A view that "baby talk" is bad! And, in that case, we have it ohh-so-wrong.


Why do you think most people (okay, mostly women) are driven to talk to a baby in a higher pitched, less mature, slower, and sing-songy (not sure if that's a word) manner? Have you ever seen a baby's face light up when you start cooing and gooing at them? Of course you have, because that is what babies respond to best; especially in infancy! Don't you see, the baby is TRAINING us how to talk to them so that they can learn, and process ,and understand our big world.

To get technical on you, this "baby talk" is called Motherese. Meaning, a type of dialogue, or way of speaking used by caregivers of young children. Motherse, like Chinese or Burmese, is just another "language", made up specifically for babies. And we can all speak it!


I always chuckle a little bit when I comment on how well a child is using his/her language to a parent. The parent's proud response, eight times out of ten, is "We've always talked to them like they were an adult". Yeah right! You baby talked that kid, and probably didn't even know it! It's natural, it's nurturing, it's very important for your baby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are to go around mispronouncing words and using poor grammar...of course that would not be appropriate for a child trying to learn a new language. I'm just saying it's okay, actually preferred, if you get on the floor, hover over that baby, and sound like a weirdo 'til their little heart's content! It would probably do yours a little good too;).

Let me know if you have any comments or questions; I'm not going anywhere;)

Sarahv

No comments:

Post a Comment